Friday, March 9, 2012

Magda Amarioarei pt 2

Since I didn't have any accessible pics of Magda's works in previous post, I wanted to include some here and go through a few of them and what I admire about each and why I would want to acquire them.

1.  This is a beautiful example of the emotion conveyed in the work through both the image itself as well as the way the image is painted.  It's not thick with impasto but the oil, used like an ink, is splotchy, distorted, smudged to signify the unkempt nature of the image.  It appears to be wires, almost like one is looking up from ground level at a vineyard.  It's thick with foliage, hard for the light to penetrate.  You want to see through it, but you must make an effort.  I'll often speak of tension in the works I like.  This piece has tension.

2.  This piece was not one one of my favorites until I saw it in person and then I loved it.  Smaller than a postcard, I love how much detail is fit in the work.  Now it's not detail like you might find in an Indian miniature work, but it has great detail nonetheless.  You can see the building or various building structures collapsing or having collapsed previously, while you are safe as the viewer under a structure, perhaps a bridge.  This work has the signature smudging that is used throughout the Recovery Cycle series.  It could be denoting grass in the foreground, the atmosphere that surrounds you, dirt, or some other mysterious quality.  when you hold this piece in your hand, you're struck by how precious it is, like a little jewel.

3.  One of the larger works from the Recovery Cycle series, this again shows excellent use of the smudging to convey a worn look to the building.  It's almost like you are looking at the image through a piece of gauze or cheesecloth, a dream-like image.  I know it shouldn't be pretty, but I'm drawn to it.  I feel like I want to drag a finger across the surface to see if i can feel the individual lines left behind by the smudged oil.  Don't worry, I won't.

I'll stop with these 3 and may revisit some more of Magda's work in a later post.  She is definitely one to watch and is one in my collection.  She's got tremendous talent at a young age and I anticipate continued great works coming from her studio.

No comments:

Post a Comment